Saturday, November 3, 2012

Writing and Chewing

I came to the realization last night while I was writing that I like to chew on things while I am deep in thought.  Anyone that works with me or lives with me, knows that I chew on pens and pencils.  I especially like to chew the top of a pen cap.  Weird, I know.  I also LOVE popcorn, but don't like to chew gum.  So, as I was creating Chapter 8 in Book Two last night, I was very deep in thought.  There were several different angles I could take on a scene and I was thinking about the best option.  When I was in that thought provoking moment, I looked all around for a pen, pencil or anything to chew.  I remembered I purchased some chips from Costco so I grabbed those from the kitchen.  I returned to the scene, chewed and it was all good.

Why in the world am I telling you this?  For several reasons:
1. Writing can reveal things about yourself that you never knew.  They can be small revelations or large ones.  Bottom line: it is a chance to get better acquainted with the one person that will be with you the rest of your life-YOU.  Writing opens up closed areas of your mind.  Try it, you will see.

2. I have cracked a habit that has perplexed me for years.  I was way worse about chewing pencils when I worked at the CCC.  It drove my staff nuts; especially when I accidently chewed up their pencils.  (Huge apology to my CCC staff.)  Was my brain more challenged at the CCC than my current job?  Or have I grown mentally?  These questions I won't be able to answer, but it is fun to think about it.

3.  If I am ever writing one of my novels at your house, please keep all of your pencils and pens away from me.  Consider this your one and only warning.

No comments:

Post a Comment